Over the past two years, we’ve put in so much hard work rebuilding and retooling the Democratic Party. Last night, our historic wins across the country showed all of that work paid off.
The new DNC created an infrastructure to support candidates up and down the ballot and organize year-round — leading to wins in some places that would’ve seemed unthinkable two years ago. Here are some of the ways Democrats gained ground across the country last night:
- 29 House seats flipped so far — with a good shot at flipping at least half a dozen more once all the results come in
- Seven governors’ seats flipped
- Six legislative chambers flipped — bringing the total number we’ve flipped up to seven this cycle
- Four Republican state legislature supermajorities broken
- In total, Democrats flipped over 290 individual state legislative races last night — bringing our total on the cycle up to over 330!
- Four states voted to expand voting rights, including a constitutional amendment in Florida that will restore voting rights to more than 1 million people with felony records
- Three state Supreme Court seats flipped
- Three red states voted to expand Medicaid
- Two states voted to raise their minimum wages
- One U.S. Senate seat flipped — congrats to Jacky Rosen!
Here are some of the incredible candidates who won historic victories last night:
- Ayanna Pressley and Jahana Hayes became the first African American women elected to represent Massachusetts and Connecticut, respectively, in Congress
- Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib are the first Muslim women to be elected to the House
- Veronica Escobar and Sylvia Garcia are the first Latinas elected to represent Texas in the House
- Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland became the first Native American women to be elected to the House
- Jared Polis became the first openly gay governor elected in the country
None of this happened by accident — it happened because grassroots donors like you invested in our party and rebuilt our infrastructure at the state and local levels. That improved infrastructure paid off big time last night, Michael — and we’re only getting started.
I am so proud of how far we’ve come in the past two years, and I can’t wait to see what else we accomplish together.
Thank you, Michael.
Democratic National Committee
P.S. Last night’s flips were only possible because Democrats started early and built an organization that could win across the country. If we’re going to take back the White House in 2020, we need to start making those same investments right now. Can I count on you to start a monthly sustaining contribution to the Democratic Party today? Together we’ll continue building our party for the elections to come.
If you’re ready to elect Democrats in all 50 states, make a contribution today. This organization is powered by you, and we’d love to hear your ideas. Just reply to this email to send any comments, criticisms, or feedback. Our community management team reads every message from supporters like you. Thanks for supporting our party!
Contributions or gifts to the Democratic National Committee are not tax deductible. Paid for by the Democratic National Committee, www.Democrats.org, and not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee.